Frequently Asked Questions

Q. When does the showerhead exchange program begin?

A. It begins the month of April. Residents can stop by the Orange County Utilities Administration Building every Tuesday and Thursday in April from 8:00 a.m. until 3:00 p.m. for showerhead exchanges.

Q. When am I allowed to water my lawn?

A. You can water up to two days a week, only on your specified days, and never between 10:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m.

During Eastern Standard Time (the first Sunday in November until the second Sunday in March):

  • Home addresses ending with an odd number: Water on Saturday only.
  • Home addresses ending with an even number: Water on Sunday only.
  • Non-residential: Water on Tuesday only.

During Daylight Saving Time (the second Sunday in March until the first Sunday in November):

  • Home addresses ending with an odd number: Wednesday and Saturday.
  • Home addresses ending with an even number: Thursday and Sunday.
  • Non-residential watering days: Tuesday and Friday.

Q. Who services my water?

A. Please call the Orange County Utilities Customer Service Division at 407-836-5515 to see if you are an Orange County Utilities Water Division customer. If another utility services your water, please call that utility provider.

Q. I have a high-volume toilet and want to replace it. Is there an incentive program that will help defray the cost of the toilet?

A. Yes. The Toilet Voucher Incentive Program (VIP) is for single-family residences built before 1989 with original toilets in use. Qualifying Orange County Utilities Water Division customers can receive discounts at designated stores for approved toilets.

Q. When does the Toilet Program begin?

A. It begins in mid-January of each year.

Q. I think I have a high-volume toilet. How do I determine if this is so?

 A. Most toilets are marked either on the rim of the toilet between the toilet seat bolts or on the underside of the tank lid. High-volume toilets use 3.5-7 gpf.

Q. I heard that the 1.6 gallons-per-flush (gpf) toilets have to be flushed two and three times to remove solid waste. Is this correct? 

A. No. The new 1.6 gpf toilets have bowls designed to remove waste with less water. Some have "power assist" (air canisters that help force the water out of the bowl). When choosing a toilet, check the Maximum Performance (MaP) rating on the toilet; the higher the rating, the more solid waste it will flush. MaP ratings can be as high as 1,000.

Q. I have heard of dual flush, flapperless, and HET toilets. What are they?

A. Dual flush toilets have a handle or button that uses different water volumes to flush either liquid or solid waste. Flapperless toilets do not have the rubber flapper in the toilet tank. The most common design of the flapperless toilet has a separate tub within the tank that tips and allows the water to flow through the valve seat into the bowl. HET stands for High-Efficiency Toilet. HETs use 1.1 or 1.28 gpf.

Q. Who should I contact about water leaks?

A. If you see a water leak in the County right-of-way or in the roadway, please call 407-836-2777.

Q. How do I report watering violations?

A. Please contact the Orange County Utilities Water Division at 407-254-9850 to report a watering violation. All you need is the street address.

Q. Who do I contact if I have questions regarding my account?

A. Please contact the Orange County Utilities Customer Service Division at 407-836-5515.

Q. How do I make a rain barrel?

A. To learn how to make a rain barrel, click here.

Q. How do I find out if my inground irrigation system is working properly?

A. If you are an Orange County Utilities water customer with an inground irrigation system using potable (drinking) water and use an average of 15,000 gallons of water per month, there is a free service available to you. As part of the Water Division's Mobile Irrigation Lab (MIL) Evaluation Program, a licensed irriation auditor performs an evaluation of the inground irrigation system and provides a list of problem areas and recommendations that will improve the efficiency of the system and potentially save you money. For more information or to sign up, please click here 

Q. Is there a restriction on what days I can wash my car?  

A. No, you may wash your car anytime; however, make sure your hose has an automatic shutoff nozzle and wash the car on the grass when possible.

Q. When did the new watering rules start?

A. November 1, 2009.

Q. I received a water violation letter. I put in new sod. Aren't I exempt?

A. Yes. Please fax the new sod receipt to Water Watch at 407-254-9848.







  • Never water your lawn or landscaping between the hours of 10:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m.
  • Use low-flow showerheads.
  • Don't use running water to defrost food.
  • Turn off the water while brushing your teeth.